Sunday, January 16, 2011

figuratively speaking, every year the holidays make me at least a little sick, but this year it was also in the literal sense. whilst mostly lying around on the couch, watching mostly bad english tv shows and generally feeling sorry for myself i was only able to get in a little musical tinkering. not nearly as much as i wanted and my record did not get finished by the end of the year, as i had hoped, but so it goes sometimes.

this isnt technically a momentary music because that would be a misnomer. i did not do it in one day. i did it over a few. it started as a one day thing but then i got caught up in trying a bunch of technical things. eq-ing and compression blah dee blah. i was trying a few different things with a drum machine with ultrabeat, synths with basses etc. and this astonishing line came to mind from an anne sexton poem " my father lives in a machine built by my mother and well oiled by his job". i misremembered it and the actual lines are better still. from the poem "the touch":

"my father wont do it.
he comes with the house and even at night
he lives in a machine made by my mother
and well oiled by his job, his job."

'he comes with the house...' fuck. how good is that. anyway, overall this musical number has an eighties feel to me. the vocal sound reminded me of gibby haynes ala early 1990's. a man who will always make me feel sort of tingly all over. so have at it. one minute and forty seconds of listening joy. another free hit single to add to your collection for your next sleep over dance party.

Lemonade (momentary 4...sort of) by ericavery

9 comments:

matt volpe said...

Hey Eric, This is AWESOME and much needed piece of music for my ears. Thanks so much man. It also makes a great birthday gift as today I turn 40 (jan 22).

Keep it going amigo and I look forward to hearing you more 2011!

Oh and by they way, I'm planning to become the Chief Shark Officer for Discovery Channel's Shark Week 2011- view here and pass it on, need the support if you do not mind!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP2LlskCNLc

All the best EA,
Matt Volpe

Daniel Jones said...

Every time you make one of these, I always see it when I first wake up. This morning I felt like a kid on christmas morning. This really made my day, as with all of your posts. Thank you, a ton.

Will said...

Oh, that's quite good. Now get up off that couch and make more.

brain said...

hey eric..

i like it! i think it's the drums that give it that 80's vibe... but yeah, keep it goin' man. finish when you can. life happens.

as most people who visit your blog, i am a huge fan. have been since the 80's. i was actually at the release party for "ritual..." here in NYC. good times. i have huge respect for your contributions to the band & applaud your sense of dignity in handling the most recent attempt to deal.

keep posting, keep recording, keep breathing. there's a lot of support for ya out here.

brain

www.thebrainproject.net

Bret said...

Wow you've done it again what a masterpiece. So let me understand something here. Its ok for you to go ahead and make the cheap electronic dance bullcrap but when Dj Peretz does the same exact thing you criticize it as "awful". Oh ok I get it.

Is this what guys do when they pass the age of forty and run out of good ideas and how to play real instruments? Your new toy sucks. I have 1 word for you and Perry both. Loser.

Damon said...

Eric,

When is your new record coming out?
Is Trent and Atticus producing?

Looking forward to hearing it!

Damon

el goatbird said...

this is fuckin awesome.

Chad Glass said...

very excellent

P Morse said...

E - this is awesome. Its like chemical brotherss wrapped in some death in vegas and then pulled through a kaleidoscope.Just kidding, its just some good ole avery genius sayin I dont where Im going but lets enjoy the walk. Cheers. I actually cyber-ran to your blog after seeing a vidoe for beneath the ground. What's that dude....is that a warning shot for new music full steam ahead? Otherwise thay would just be mean...!

sincerely,
the dude you emailed in June

P.S. did you check out thst dude bret a few floors up from this comment? Dude is hilarious! Scary to think what his definition of "cool" would be...